Getting your Questions Answered
The librarians are here to help you use the library to its fullest. Please don't hesitate to Ask A Librarian any questions!
The reference librarians at UT are here to help connect you to the information you need. We offer many services in order to meet the information needs of a variety of different patrons, whether you are a student, an instructor, a staff member, clinician, or the general public. We can help you locate materials in our collections or at other libraries, use a variety of reference books, indexes, and databases, and can assist you in finding effective search strategies to streamline your research.
Individual Reference Appointments
Reference librarians are also available by appointment for one-on-one reference consultation and instruction. Scheduling an appointment allows librarians time to provide in-depth help with your research.
To set up an Individual Appointment:
- On the Main Campus, contact your subject specialist.
- On the Health Science Campus, please use this form to schedule an individual appointment at the library or in your office.
Literature Searches for HSC Faculty, Staff & Residents
As a service to their faculty, residents, and staff, the reference librarians at Mulford Library provide a service where they can search the literature for you on a specific topic. Please see the Mulford Library Reference page for details.
Getting Help In Person
Each library location maintains its own reference staff and schedule:
- The Reference and Information desk on the first floor of Carlson Library is staffed Monday - Thursday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m..during the Fall and Spring semesters. Hours vary at other times.
- To get reference assistance at Mulford Health Science Library, stop at the Access Services desk at the entrance on the fourth floor of Mulford Library. A reference librarian is on call Monday through Friday, 11:00am-4:00 pm.
- The McMaster Engineering Library generally has reference assistance available from Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- You can also make individual appointments for in depth reference assistance.
- Help is also available at other library service desks. Please see the hours page for details.
Reference librarians also answer questions over the telephone. Telephone numbers for reference questions are:
- Carlson Library: (419) 530-2325
- Mulford Health Science Library: (419) 383-4218
- McMaster Engineering Library: (419) 530-3948
- LaValley Law Library, (419) 530-2946.
Please remember, however, that the person in the library comes first; we may be away from the phone helping another patron. Please leave a message on our voice mail system with your question and a number where we can reach you.
The reference librarians also answer questions submitted through the web or by e-mail:
- On the Main Campus:
e-mail AskIt@utnet.utoledo.edu or submit via form.
- On the Health Science Campus:
e-mail MulfordReference@utoledo.edu or submit via form.
Questions will be answered within two working days, usually faster.
By Live Messaging or Chat
Chat with a librarian, no IM account necessary! See the chat boxes on this page to ask your question.
We staff these services during the same hours as our In Person reference desks, so if you are using the service outside of those hours, please leave your question and an e-mail address or phone number where we can get back to you.
Chat with a Librarian: Main Campus
Chat with a librarian in the Carlson Library Reference Department. If we are not online, see below for alternate means to contact us.
For information on how to reach us in person, by phone, or by e-mail, see the Ask a Librarian page.
Chat with a Librarian: Health Science Campus
Chat with a librarian at the Mulford Library. If we are not online, see below for alternate means to contact us.
For information on how to reach us in person, by phone, or by e-mail, see the Ask a Health Science Librarian page.
Chat with a Librarian: Engineering Library
Chat with the Engineering Librarian. If we are not online, see below for alternate means to contact us.
For information on how to reach us in person, by phone, or by e-mail, see the McMaster Engineering Library.