The Government Documents Department
Carlson Library has been a selective depository for United States federal and state government documents since 1963. In our forty plus years of service, we have provided our users information published by every agency of the government. The Government Documents department is located on the third floor of Carlson Library. Assistance is available in the Government Documents office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Documents come in a wide variety of formats: paper, microfiche, CD-ROM, and online, and the Documents Department has them all. Certain documents, including many publications used for frequent reference, are located in the Documents Office itself. All government documents on microform are kept in the Microform & Multimedia room on the third floor of Carlson Library.
Superintendent of Documents Numbers
The Government Documents department is arranged by Superintendent of Documents (or SuDoc) numbers. The letters correspond to government agencies. When reading SuDoc numbers, remember that the number after the colon should be read as a whole number... C 2:10 is followed by C 2:11, not C 2:105, for example. A full explanation is available on the Federal Depository Library Project website.
Common Superintendent of Documents Divisions
- A Department of Agriculture
- CCommerce Department
- C3 Census Bureau
- C21 Patent and Trademark Office
- CC Federal Communications Commission
- CR Civil Rights
- CS Civil Service Commission
- D Defense Department
- E Department of Energy
- ED Department of Education
- EP Environmental Protection Agency
- FT Federal Trade Commission
- GA General Accounting Commission
- GS General Services Administration
- HE Health and Human Services
- NH Department of Housing and Urban Development
- I Department of the Interior
- IC Interstate Commerce Commission
- J Justice Department
- LLabor Department
- L2 Labor Statistics
- P Postal Service
- PrEx Executive Office of the President
- S State Department
- SBA Small Business Administration
- TTreasury Department
- T22 Internal Revenue Service
- TD Transportation Department
- VA Veterans Administration
- X Congressional Record
- Y3 Congressional Commissions, Committees, Boards
- Y4 Congressional Hearings
Finding Government Information in the UT Library Catalog
Government documents can be found in the UT Library Catalog by searching by keyword and
search Location: Carlson Government Documents.
To find government documents in the UT Library Catalog that have links
a web site,
combine your keyword with the word 'gov'.
Government documents can be identified by their Call Number, which will have a colon (:) in it, and by the Location, which will often be Federal Documents, Ohio Documents, Documents Office, or Microform/Media.
UT Library Catalog Search
Finding Government Information on the Internet
Many government agencies publish their information directly on the web. Although the UT Library Catalog contains links to much of this information, you may want to use some of the following web sites to find government information in electronic format:
Finding Government Information in Databases
The libraries have access to several databases that provide government information, especially legislative information.
USA.gov Twitter Feed
Featured digital document from the National Archives: