This guide will walk you through a sample search in the database Biosis Previews. For more detailed information on the Biosis Previews database, please consult the Biosis Previews LibGuide or contact a UT librarian.
Our topic: We are looking for research articles to determine which animal models are used to study Alzheimer’s disease.
1) From the Quick Links menu on the library’s web pages (http://www.utoledo.edu/library.html), go to the Research Databases link:
From the listing of databases, click on the Biology link; from the databases listed, click on BIOSIS Previews (includes Biological Abstracts):
2) On the BIOSIS Previews search page, type in animal model$ (we are using the truncation symbol $ to look for animal models, animal model, etc.):
3) Click on the Search botton, then click Back To Search.
4) Next, do another search forn Alzheimer's disease.
5) To bring our two searches together, click on Search History:
7) To combine, click in the boxes to the right of the sets, then choose And from the drop down menu:
9) Click on the Combine button, then select the combined results:
10) To find article published within the past 5 years, select Publication Years in the Refine Results menu, select the years, and select the Refine button to see the new results:
11) To limit our search to articles written in English only, click on Languages in the Refine Results menu, then select the Refine button to see the new results: